Hello Tax payers, we hope you are pink of health. Quarterly Excise Tax reported through Form 720 is due by next month, it is good to gear up with your documents. Simply log into TaxExcise.com and file your return at your own convenience.
Leaving reminders aside, today we would be discussing about Form 8849, An Application for claims and refunds of Excise Tax. As you know there are various schedules under Form 8849, we would like to throw some light on the schedules & their purpose. So keep reading to know more about Form 8849.
What is Form 8849?
Form 8849 is an application to claim a refund on excise taxes reported to IRS. The form is divided into various schedules for different claims that includes schedule 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8.
Let us take a quick look on each schedule:
An ultimate purchaser of gasoline, aviation gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene (other than kerosene used in aviation), kerosene used in commercial aviation, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) can file schedule 1 to claim a refund.
- · Claims for fuel used for nontaxable purpose only.
- · One claim per quarter is allowed.
- · The minimum amount for filing a claim should be at least $750.
Click here to know more about Schedule 1.
Registered vendors for undyed diesel fuel, undyed kerosene, and kerosene sold for use in aviation, gasoline or aviation gasoline can file Form 8849 Schedule 2 to claim a refund. A Registered Ultimate Vendors should possess registration number while filing Schedule 2.
- · The claim must be for the above-mentioned fuel sold during a period that is at least 1 week.
- · The amount of the claim must be at least $200 and for some fuel, $100 is the minimum amount.
Check the Instructions for better understanding.
Claim Credits on Certain Fuel Mixtures and the Alternative Fuel Credit through schedule 3.
- · The claimant should be registered with IRS.
- · The claim should be for alternative fuel sold or used during a period that is at least 1 week.
- · The amount of claim should be at least $200 unless the claim is filed electronically.
Check through here for better understanding.
A person who has paid and reported a section 4081 tax to the government on taxable fuel uses, file Schedule 5 to claim a refund of the tax if a prior section 4081 tax on the fuel has also been paid and reported to the government. Also, do note if two taxes were paid on the fuel for which the claim is filed, the claim for refund of the second tax should be made.
The person who reported form 720 and paid the second tax to the government is the only eligible person to claim for a refund.
- · The claim should be filed within 3 years from the time the second tax was filed or 2 years from the time the second tax was paid to the government, whichever is later.
Claim a refund on form 720, 730, 2290, and Form 11-C through Form 8849 Schedule 6.
Generally, a claim must be filed within 3 years of the filing of the return to which the claim relates, or 2 years from when the tax reported on that return was paid, whichever is later.
Note: This schedule deals with 4 different forms, kindly check here to understand each forms requirements.
Schedule 8 is for registered Credit Card Issuers to file a claim for refund or payment of tax paid on certain sales of taxable fuel (diesel fuel, kerosene, and gasoline) to state and local governments and certain sales of gasoline to nonprofit educational organizations. However, it is important that the taxable fuel should be purchased with a credit card issued to the state or local government or nonprofit educational organization by the credit card issuer making the claim.
1. The claim should be for taxable fuel sold during a period that is at least 1 week.
2. The amount of the claim must be at least $200.
3. The claim must be filed by the last day of the first quarter following the earliest quarter of the claimant’s income tax year included in the claim.
Why Should You E-File Form 8849 Using TaxExcise.com?
Taxexcise.com, A Product of ThinkTrade Inc offers e-file services for form 8849. We have always indulged in providing the best experience while E-filing a claim , making it time efficient for filers. With our application, the confusing processes are less tangled with our unique features, providing you the best at the end.
Join hands with TaxExcise.com for your betterment. You would never regret coming our way. Get in touch with our tax experts @ 1-866-245-3918 or simply shoot an email to email@example.com