As the tax season draws ever close, so does the time of refunds. Who doesn’t love getting money back?! As the new tax year is approaching on July 1st, many of is out there are realizing that we didn’t actually reach the mileage requirement for paying heavy vehicle use tax in the previous year.
So truckers, how can you get some of the green back?
You can claim this refund from June 1st through the 30th. You can efile a form 8849 to claim your low mileage refund. After that, if you’d still like a refund for a prior year low mileage vehicle, you will need to E-file a Form 2290 with a Credit Vehicle.
Who is eligible for a low-mileage refund? Let’s find out!
Who Qualifies for a Low Mileage Refund?
If your truck has traveled, fewer than 5,000 miles on public highways during the tax year are eligible for a refund of their HVUT. Moreover, agricultural vehicles that traveled fewer than 7,500 miles on public highways during the tax year are eligible for a refund too.
There are other types of refunds you can get for your heavy vehicle used tax as well. If your vehicle was stolen, sold or destroyed (or if you overpaid on your heavy vehicle use tax), you are eligible for a refund as well. You can even file for those types of refunds with Taxexcise.com right now!
I Need a Refund—What Should I Do?
If you’re eligible for a low mileage refund, you may have some questions on how to file. And we have the answers! On June 1 (or right now if you’re eligible for a different type of refund), log into your TaxExcise account and follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Login or register with TaxExcise
- Step 2: Select “Start a New Return” and choose start under “Form 8849 Schedule 6- other claims”
- Step 3: Choose the form you are filing a claim for and click on continue. You can file for two forms at one go
- Step 4: Are you claiming a credit for overpayment of tax? Or are you filing a claimant on vehicle sold, destroyed or stolen? Or you are filing a claim on vehicle that didn’t exceed the mileage limit? Choose your option wisely, and check on continue
- Step 5: If you’re eligible, you’re onto the overpayment credits. You can enter these by inputting the date of the overpayment tax, the VIN, amount you are claiming, and a short explanation for the IRS to review
- Step 6: If you have any trucks that were stolen, sold, or destroyed this past tax year, you should enter them first. You will need the VIN, gross vehicle weight, first-used month and the date the vehicle was sold, lost, or destroyed
- Step 7: Now, you can enter the VIN, gross vehicle weight and first-used month for any vehicles eligible for a low mileage credit
- Step 8: Then finally, you can review your information, and since we estimate the refund for you, check out how much the IRS will be putting back into your pocket!
As per the books of IRS, the refund is issued within 4-6 weeks of filing. Then, you can kick back and enjoy your extra cash!
Register with us today so that June 1st you’ll be ready to begin E-filing for your refund right away! And don’t forget, you only have until June 30th to file for your Form 8849. After that, you will need to file a 2290 with a credit vehicle. And if you have questions to be answered, you can always check upon our dedicated support team, any time any day. You can call @ 1-866-245-3918, e-mail at email@example.com, or even start a live-chat on our website!
So, sit back, relax, and enjoy refund season!